Tuesday, April 14, 2009

In Honor of my Grandpa

In honor of my Grandpa Sharpy passing away a year ago tomorrow; I decided to post about him.  I knew him for Twenty One years.  To me he was a honorable man who loved his Family and God.  I think of the agony and pain he was feeling a year ago and my heart breaks all over.  He was in so much pain.  I remember visiting him before he passed in the hospice and would break down every time because would think to myself will this be the last time I see him? 

As I reflect on a year ago, I think of many things.  I think to myself now No that was not the last time I would see my Grandpa.  I WILL see him again.  He is with me and his memories will keep him alive until we meet again.  I miss him yes I do with all my heart.  I think how blessed I was to know him and how blessed I am to have had all my grandparents living in Arizona all growing up.  I have my dad's parents, my mom's parents, and my Great grandma(my dad's grandma).  My grandpa sharpy was the first to move from this life to the next.  

I mourn for my grandma because they were married for 59 years! And they would celebrate their anniversary on my birthday.  May 7th was a special day for us both!!  I think of all they have been through together.  I think of the eleven children they sacrificed for and lovingly raised.  I think of the examples they were to me growing up.  I have many special memories of going to my grandparents house watching Land Before Time.  My grandma would always give me ice cream.  She sure spoiled us and she still does!!

My grandpa had some funny things he would say; he used to sing the Alphabet a little like this: U, S, X, C, F, Y, H, G, P now I know my X, Y, Z's next time won't you sing with me?  And we would go back and forth and say Grandpa you don't sing it like that and he would say yes you do!  Anytime we would cut our hair short he ALWAYS told us we looked like little boys.  Anytime a kid would whine or cry he would say "SHUTUP kid and go to your room!"  He would always give us a hug and kiss every time we saw him.  He loved each of us in a special way and he always let us know that by his words and actions.  Oh how I could go on and on.  

To my Grandpa,

I think of you often and miss you so much.  I miss you coming to my house and making us laugh.  You always knew how to make us laugh.  You were such a charitable and loving Grandpa.  Thank you for all you taught me and how you continually taught me to respect my parents.  As I am soon to be a parent, I will remember your example.  I know you and my little boy are bonding.  I am sad he won't get to meet you down here but I know you two are thinking of ways to have him tease me once he gets here.  Kaden is due close to my parents Anniversary (September 25th) and it is special to me because we shared that special day together growing up.  Thank you for all you were and still are to me! I love you.

Love, 
Jacquie

4 comments :

  1. thank you for a great tribute to my dad, your grandpa. I love you and know he did too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a really special tribute Jac. I remember when my Grandpas died and they were both really hard. It is such a comfort to know you will see him again. I know you are going through a really hard time right now, if anyone is strong enough to handle it, it is you. I can't even imagine. I want you to know that my thoughts and prayers are with you. You are such an amazing person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One year is super hard...glad you are making it through! Keep resting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jacquie. You can of course email or call me anytime. I would love to be of help if I can! jessica.miller@cox.net
    480-644-1703

    ReplyDelete